IntroductionAny project that is not trivial requires planning. It is my experience that this is where many projects fail. Skilled people can work very hard and still create something ineffective if it was not understood from the start what needed to be done. Therefore, in this and all of my courses, I stress planning. Planning does not require that every detail be worked out in advance, and, to be sure, plans need reworked and changed as a project evolves. However, those working on a project must have a clear idea of the goals of the project, or their efforts will likely be wasted.
Your ProjectFor your project, you will create a Marketing Plan either for Lorain County Community College's Web Development programs, or, with my approval, an organization of your choosing. The project will be done in two phases - the Rough Draft and the Completed Version. See syllabus for due dates. Here is some information about the Web Development Programs. For this assignment, I will be considered as the representative for the programs, so ask me any questions - through any of the communication methods listed for this class. For this assignment, the deadlines will be more strictly enforced.
Marketing Plan - FormatUse the following template for your Marketing Plan. You will need to write a paper (.doc, .docx, .rtf, Google Docs, or .pdf format) and create a slideware presentation (.ppt, .pptx, or Google Docs).
For your presentation, assume the presentation will be accompanying a speaker - although in an online class, you won't actually present it. Review standards for good presentation design.
Your paper should include the following sections. Your presentation should summarize the highlights and need not contain every section.
- Objectives - List at least 3 specific objectives the organization would want to achieve via their Social Media Marketing
- Target Audience Groups - List at least 3 different groups of people the Social Media Marketing would be geared towards
- Review of Social Media of Similar Organizations - Review and document what similar organizations are doing regarding Social Media Marketing
- Relevant Goals of Target Audiences - What do you feel the target audiences hope to achieve through interacting with the organization's social media... include 2 goals for each group
- Proposed Content - identify which Social Media channels should be used. For each channel describe:
- who would create posts
- how often posts would be created
- general description of content included
- how the content aligns with the organization's objectives
- how content aligns with Target Audience Goals
- anticipated issues
- Proposed policies concerning Transparency, etc - suggest policies concerning what should be posted/what should not be posted, how to handle negative comments and other issues relating to transparency
- Metrics - how should the organization measure whether their Social Media Market efforts are effective - be specific
Marketing Plan - Rough DraftFor the rough draft, you will turn in a draft of your marketing plan. For the rough draft, you do not need to turn in the slide presentation, just the paper. You will then be assigned another student's paper to peer review and offer feedback. You will post your rough draft to the drop box. I will email you someone else's draft. You will email the other student your feedback and upload your feedback to the peer review drop box. See the syllabus for due dates.
|Rough Draft||0-3 points: 0-2 sections of the plan addressed in adequate detail||4-6 points: 3-4 sections of the plan addressed in adequate detail||7-10 points: 5-7 sections of the plan addressed in adequate detail.|
|Peer Review||0-1 points: Review not done, or inadequate in most respects||2-3 points: Review is vague, incomplete or lacking in insight||4-5 points: Review is insightful, detailed, specific and complete|
Marketing Plan - CompletedHere is the rubric:
|Objectives||0 points: missing or vague||1 points: incomplete or vague||2 points: complete and specific|
|Target Audiences||0 points: missing or vague||1 points: incomplete or vague||2 points: complete and specific|
|Review of Social Media of Similar Organizations||0 points: missing or vague||1-2 points: incomplete or vague||3 points: complete and specific|
|Relevant Goals of Target Audiences||0 points: missing or vague||1-2 points: incomplete or vague||3 points: complete and specific|
|Proposed Content||0-1 points: missing or vague||2-3 points: incomplete or vague||4-5 points: complete and specific|
|Proposed policies concerning Transparency, etc||0 points: missing or vague||1-2 points: incomplete or vague||3 points: complete and specific|
|Metrics||0 points: missing or vague||1 points: incomplete or vague||2 points: complete and specific|
|Presentation||0-1 points: missing - lacking in content and poorly designed||2-3 points:good|
content or good design
|4-5 points: good content, good design|
It is possible ideas from your Marketing Plan will be used!
I will create a video describing the project in more detail in the upcoming weeks.
The books: Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day and Social Media is a Cocktail Party, were useful in developing this assignment